Comic-Con 2017: Trailers and News Recap
So yesterday was the last of the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con. Like every other year, there were huge surprises, some disappointments, and some ‘I don’t really care’ moments.
I obviously wasn’t there since I’m still stuck in Italy. However, I followed the panels (most of them), and I, of course, watched every trailer. Including the leaked Infinity War one, which won’t by any means post here.
Anyways, here’s a recap of what we saw at this year’s convention!
20th Century Fox
We didn’t really saw much from 20th Century Fox. We did not have any update on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Gambit, X-Force or even Deadpool 2. However, we got new trailers for Kingsman: The Golden Circle, The Gifted, and The Orville, as well as some news such as Legion season 2 episode number (10) and how Legion’s creator Noah Hawley is developing a Doctor Doom movie, so far named simply Doom.
You can check out the trailers below:
While there were no updates on the MonsterVerse, Legendary released a teaser trailer for Pacific Rim: Uprising.
It’s actually not a real trailer, rather a viral marketing ad to join the fictional resistance against the Kaiju. However, like most of you, I noted how fluently the Jaeger movies compared to the first installment.
I guess we are gonna get the first answer when a real trailer will drop. Which should be pretty soon given the movie is slated for a February 2018 release. Pacific Rim: Uprising will see Steven S. DeKnight (showrunner for Spartacus and Netflix’s DareDevil Season 1) on the director’s chair, as Guillermo Del Toro decided to step down and staying as Producer – he also wrote the Story. Also, John Boyega, who plays Jake Pentecost (so Idris Elba’s son) figures as Producer.
Warner Bros. and DC Extended Universe
Fans of the DCEU can rejoice after this comic-con. Despite getting just one trailer, we got a bunch of news for them:
- Shazam! is in the making with director David. F. Sandberg. Slated to hit theaters on April 5, 2019, we still have no idea about who’s going to play Shazam, however, Black Adam won’t appear in the movie, despite The Rock still scheduled to play the character.
- David Ayer will not direct Suicide Squad 2 but will helm Gotham City Sirens. We still have no idea who’s going to direct the sequel to the 2016 hit.
- Aquaman footage looks promising and seems to maintain director James Wan visual style.
- We might get a Joker/Harley Quinn spin-off.
Here’s the trailer we got:
Warner Bros. wise, we got the first trailer for Spielberg next extravaganza Ready Player One, also slated to be released in 2018. Filled with pop-culture reference, in my opinion, this could be the next cult classic for this generation, very much like the book.
TV-wise, the only interesting trailer we got was the Westworld teaser for HBO. let me remind you we won’t see an episode of this incredible groundbreaking series until next year.
This year’s Comic-Con was the very first for Netflix. And they did not disappoint.
Besides screening Death Note for a few chosen ones (with mixed reviews as a result, even though bland seems not to be the word used), they also screened the first episode of The Defenders, the long awaited mini-series crossing over the four NY street heroes. Reactions were great, but as I always say, a TV Series must be judged as a whole.
We also got a new trailer for Stranger Things season 2, which is gonna be released on Halloween. Another new series trailer was Star Trek: Discovery, which will be distributed as a Netflix Original outside U.S. and Canada.
The biggest surprise was for Bright, the $90 Million behemoth David Ayer flick from a crazy Max Landis screenplay. It literally looks like End Of Watch met R.I.P.D. This is by any means the freshest trailer we saw so far.
Here are all the trailers – and a clip:
Dulcis in Fundo, here are all the news from Marvel Studios. Like the DCEU, Marvel published just one trailer.
- Black Panther looks really good and action filled;
- Captain Marvel will take place in the ’90s and it will feature Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury with both eyes. If he’ll lose his eye in this adventure it remains to be seen;
- Ant-Man and the Wasp looks promising, as both Laurence Fishburne and Michelle Pfeiffer joined the cast, the latter as Janet Van Dyne (Hank Pym’s wife, the original Wasp);
- Avengers: Infinity War is going to be epic, and the first trailer is there to prove it; yet we won’t see an official release of it until Thor: Ragnarok is released, as it may be spoiling the movie. It could very well be the post-credit scene for the movie.
Personal top 3 trailers:
- Ready Player One
- Thor: Ragnarok